Total Pageviews

Wednesday 18 December 2013

In the Bleak Mid Winter

Ask me my favourite Christmas carol, and I will probably answer with, 'In the Bleak mid Winter.'
The words are very poignant, and the best is last, ''what I can give him: give my heart'' Pretty much sums up the Christian gospel, and why Jesus came to earth.
In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Our God, heaven cannot hold Him, nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Enough for Him, Whom cherubim, worship night and day,
Breastful of milk, and a mangerful of hay;
Enough for Him, Whom angels fall before,
The ox and ass and camel which adore.

Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
But His mother only, in her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

I love the references to the cold winter. I see that as having double meaning, as our hearts, and lives before the Holy Spirit has touched them. We were hard hearted sinners, who needed to be warmed to Christ.
The second verse then talks about the power of God. We can't contain God, and he humbled himself in birth, but even to death on a cross!
The third verse pertaining to worship. What we were made for:to glorify God, and worship Him.
Finally in the last verse, as mentioned before, we give our hearts. We cannot be christians, until we have given our heart to Christ, and repented of our sin. It is God's gift to us. Often, if we are given a gift, it is expected to reciprocate. The fantastic thing about the gospel, is that we can ONLY give our hearts our all, but that in joy. We don't have to do anything, it is all of grace, and free.
Merry Christmas! Have you received God's free gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment