Total Pageviews

Monday 26 March 2018

My Driving Journey

For anyone who knows me, I don't drive, or at least I didn't until last October. See, when something happens and you realise how helpless you are (husband hospitalised last year) it forces you to bite the bullet, and face your biggest fear. My biggest fear being the idea of driving. I had never really wanted to, and didn't feel at all able to do it.
Of course, last October I got into a car, and started learning. Yes, there have been challenges, but.....surprise surprise, even though I am out of my comfort zone, I am enjoying it; plus I have the added bonus of learning with my kids! Ha ha, we are often swapping notes on driving experiences, and best sites to visit for theory. (Which I passed in February)
I have definitely had scares, just this last weekend: people not giving way at a roundabout, and just zooming through, someone weaving over into my lane in the town centre (heading straight for me), a horse lorry suddenly deciding it was a great thing to park vertically across the road on a bend on a 60m.p.h road, a bloke with a van deciding the main road was a great place for his kids to be while he was blocking half the road.

Last week I took my first test.....but, failed. I had two minors, and one serious fault for positioning in wrong part to turn right in a one way system. I had realised that it was one way, but the end of the road came quickly, plus it was in the country, and there was nothing other than the dotted lines, which I had of course failed to notice!

The biggest challenge was night driving, but now getting used to that, and if anything driving in cities is easier in the dark in my opinion. Next biggest has been parking, as there are new moves in the new test, including pulling up on the right, and reversing two car lengths. Sounds easy, but it isn't if the road isn't straight.

There are so many things you can fail on; signalling too early, or too late, going too slow/fast, hesitation, positioning, steering, bumping the curb, causing someone else to slow down, or stop, incorrect observations. It isn't just a case of following the road! In fact, it is exhausting, and I don't know about anyone else, but it makes me starving! Also, the independent driving on the new test is twice as long, so twice as long to make an error! You can fail because of someone elses' mistake if your response is not appropriate, or reaction not quick enough. I wonder how many who passed years ago would pass now? Definitely not everyone judging the state of some people's driving.

Anyway, hopefully next time I will pass? I don't know, but it is scary!



No comments:

Post a Comment